Friday, August 26, 2011

#19: Pick Berries and Make Jam

After last summer's foray into the art of jam making (I made batches of strawberry, peach, and blueberry, mmmm...), I vowed to make canning my own a summer tradition. Making your own jam is definitely one of those things that you think only kitchen connoisseurs can take on, but it's a whole lot easier and less time consuming than you think—really, anyone can do it.

I use this super simple recipe that I found on...you guessed it: Two Blue Lemons. It only uses 3 ingredients (fruit, sugar, lemon), and takes under an hour to make. Check it out here if you're interested in trying your own batch.

Although my bucket list specified that I had to pick the berries myself, I just wasn't able to fit a berry picking trip into my schedule this week, so I decided to settle for the next best thing: the farmers market. I picked up some lovely pints of strawberries and yellow raspberries, mixed them with some blueberries that I already had in my fridge, and voilĂ , my lovely batch of tri-berry jam was born (which didn't quite full up the entire ball jar, whoops!).

Next up: My bike journey on the Watertown Greenway (who knew that existed?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment