Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My Dad Knows Everything About Baseball

I’ve always known that my dad is a huge baseball fan (he mainly just watches the Sox games, but he’ll always cheer for anyone who beats the Yankees), but this month he really proved it to me. I probably called home a dozen times over the past 31 days with a whole slew of baseball questions that most people my age should know the answers to:

“Dad, how do they determine how many games are in a series?”
“Hi Dad, me again, do the announcers travel with the team?”
“Yep hi, another question: What the hell does over 500 mean?”


And so on…

What shocked me every time was how immediate his answers were—I couldn’t stump him! After a month of very thorough answers to my incessant stream of questions, I really am convinced that my dad knows everything about baseball.

When I was home this past weekend, my brother and I went down to the basement and shot some of his baseball collection. These are a few of my favs:



My dad is also a huge Carl Yastrzemski fan. I mean, can you blame him? What's not to love about a Polish Red Sox player?



Carl, or "Yaz", in all his glory



More glory...



I can't read this so let's just pretend that there's a "ski" at the end



This illustration of Fenway Park was a Father's Day gift from my mom and I one year



A replica of the paper from when the Red Sox won the World Series in 1918



Moxie and the Red Sox? Now you're speaking John Dzenawagis' language...

And yes, I’m well aware that it’s June 1st now. The holiday weekend threw me off a bit so I'm going to take a few extra days to wrap up Soxing before I introduce June's challenge. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment