Friday, July 1, 2011

#30: Make a New Flavor of Sun Tea

As the context clues (I'm a vegetarian, I do yoga, and there's an "Eat More Kale" bumper sticker on my car) might lead you to believe, yes, I'm a tea person. I'm not making a conscious effort to be a granola girl, I swear, I just don't like the taste of coffee and unlike most people, I really dislike the smell (I'm pretty sure that 5 years of brewing cheap coffee on a sweaty ferry might have something to do with that). Tea's another story though, and as anyone whom I've ever worked with can attest, I drink it all day long.

Although a hot cup of tea on a chilly autumn morning is one of my favorite things, I think I might enjoy a tall glass of iced tea in the summer even more—especially when it's homemade. Despite coming from a family of sun tea enthusiasts, I had never actually made it myself until last summer and I've been hooked ever since. Normally I just toss a few tea bags into a glass pitcher filled with water and let it brew in the sun for 4-6 hours, but I've been wanting to branch out a bit and try other concoctions.

I stumbled on this post on Design Sponge a few weeks ago about herbal infused vodka (yum), which then lead me to this post from DigginFood about herbal sun teas. After reading these, I made sure to include a few plants in my herb garden that I could incorporate into tea making.

Today I put my chocolate mint to use and sun brewed it with some orange slices. Although I was pretty sure that this was going to be amazing, I have to say that it was closer to mediocre than incredible. The mint was a little less chocolaty than I was expecting and it kind of just tasted like a garden (which is usually right up my alley, just not exactly what I was expecting). I think it's all about the proportions though, so I'm going try it out a few more times before I make my final judgment.

Any sun tea enthusiasts out there have any recipes or tips for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment