Monday, March 28, 2011

Recipe # 10: Baked Bulgur-Stuffed Tomatoes

If there were one person to credit for my healthy eating habits and my general philosophy on food, it would definitely be my mom—or as the secret Brit in me has always called her, Mum. Although she spent her pre-retirement days as a hairdresser, her true passion has always been food and nutrition (well, that and rearranging the house so often that it’s virtually unrecognizable every time I go home for a visit). She started me off on a healthy eating path at a young age by making all of my baby food herself, and when I was old enough to develop a taste for junk food, by forbidding anything even remotely unhealthy from entering her cabinets (which was especially difficult considering that my dad was a Frito Lay salesman and had a giant truck stuffed with potato chips parked in our driveway).

Because of her, I was that kid eating tofu-veggie spread and rice cakes for lunch while everyone else was scarfing down Lunchables and washing them down with Red #40’s favorite friend, Hawaiian Punch. Although I was a little bitter at the time, now that I’m old enough to understand her motives, I’m thankful that she molded my eating habits when I was young, and grateful that she instilled in me the understanding that you truly are what you eat.

When at the ripe age of 12, I saw a cow get branded and proclaimed that I was never eating meat again, she was nothing but supportive, taking me to see a nutritionist and preparing me veggie-centric meals, always saying that I’d end up healthier and live longer because of my decision. Years later, it’s my turn to be the supportive one, and I’m proud of my mom for making the decision to follow in Bill Clinton's footsteps and adopt a vegan diet. It’s been inspiring to see how dedicated she is to her new lifestyle and to hear about how much better she feels inside and out because of it. Plus, she shares all of her delicious new recipes me with me, including this one for baked bulgur-stuffed tomatoes that we enjoyed together when I was home last weekend.

Here's to you Mum!





Photos again are courtesy of my very talented brother, Sean

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a nice post danne! i'm glad to hear your mum's sticking to the vegan diet! :) also...i always loved that tofu veggie spread your mom made!! and the sunburgers too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Baked Bulgur Stuffed Tomatoes look amazing - but I can't find the recipe on your site. Can you re-post it? THANKS! - M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi M,

    Here's the recipe for you:

    Ingredients:

    4 large tomatoes
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    1 cup vegetable broth
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    Cayenne pepper
    1 small zucchini, in 1/4 inch dice
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    2 teaspoons minced jalapeño chile
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1/2 cup bulgur
    3/4 cup corn kernels

    Directions:

    1. Cut a horizontal slice about 1/2 inch from the stem of each tomato, reserving the tops. Using a spoon of melon baller, remove the seeds and pulp from each tomato. Season the insides of the tomatoes lightly with salt and black pepper and place upside down on paper towels to drain.

    2. In a medium saucepan, combine broth, turmeric, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in zucchini, onion, garlic, and bulgur and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until liquid has been absorbed and bulgur is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in corn.

    3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Choose a baking dish just large enough to hold the tomatoes and spray with a nonstick spray. Place tomatoes cut side up in the dish. Fill each with 1/2 cup of the bulgur filling. Replace tomato tops. Bake 25 to 30 minutes.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete