Sunday, August 14, 2011

#27: Go to the Fair

When I was a little girl, my parents would tuck me in each night and ask me what I wanted to talk about before bed. No matter what time of year it was, the answer was always the same: the fair. Even in the depths of winter, my mom and dad were forced to recount every single detail of this childhood wonderland to me as I lay in bed, drifting off into a blissful, fair-filled slumber.

For my friends and I, the annual Barnstable County Fair was the event of the summer, if not the whole year. Cotton candy, fried dough, rides that made your stomach turn, tents full of awesome stuff (total junk) to buy, crafts galore (hello sand art and your name on a grain of rice), face painting, pony rides, barns full of baby animals...do I need to go on? It was pure heaven.

Although it'll never be as exciting to me as it was when I was 7, going to the county fair is definitely a summertime essential, so I made sure it had a spot on my bucket list. Since I couldn't make it down for the fair in my hometown (I think I had some sort of wedding related something that weekend, surprise surprise), I found a Groupon for the Bolton County Fair and decided to check it out. I'll let the photos speak for themselves, but it was a lot of fun and exactly how I remembered it (I think these things are essentially the same in every town in America).


Sorry Fanne, no pets allowed


Dan and Mister Baby Goat


Piglets! Awwwwwwww


The world champion "LumberJills" in the middle of a heated log rolling competition


The prize winning vegetables


Blue ribbon apple pie mmmm...


The fair's best corn


Some things never change


Best fair food ever: "Mister Kielbaski" haha


Both were delicious


Dan trying his luck


We got these great stickers from the local cheese vendor


And what trip to the fair is complete without going on a ride? Definitely almost hurled on the kid next to me but it was totally worth it

Thanks Bolton Fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment