Saturday, November 6, 2010

More of the Same (in a good way)

About a week into October I realized that trying to achieve perfect life balance in a month might be a pretty tall order. Even after four weeks of will power and determination, TeuxDeux lists and yoga classes, I’m still finding it hard to fit it all in (me and everyone else, I suppose). That being said, I’m going to keep going with October’s lent into November and see how I’m feeling by the end of this month. I’m not expecting a solution by lent’s end, just a little more insight on how to get a few steps closer.

That being said, I needed something to give me a push in the right direction so I consulted my favorite resource, Whole Living. I’ve been subscribing to their magazine for years now (it’s awesome), and while perusing their website this week I rediscovered their 28 Day Whole Body Action Plan and decided to sign myself up. Starting on Monday, I’ll be detoxing, journaling, exercising and all around just making steps towards living a more healthy and balanced life. I’m not really sure what I'm going to do about Thanksgiving (which happens to fall right in the middle of the challenge) but I'm sure I can work out some sort of compromise with myself.

Another thing that I’m planning on trying out this month is observing a weekly day of rest, a sort of technology and responsibility detox. I stumbled upon this website, The Sabbath Manifesto, and I couldn’t agree more with the concept of it. An excerpt from their site:

The Sabbath Manifesto was developed in the same spirit as the Slow Movement, slow food, slow living, by a small group of artists, writers, filmmakers and media professionals who, while not particularly religious, felt a collective need to fight back against our increasingly fast-paced way of living. The idea is to take time off, deadlines and paperwork be damned.

In the Manifesto, we’ve adapted our ancestors’ rituals by carving out one day per week to unwind, unplug, relax, reflect, get outdoors, get with loved ones and, if we’re lucky, get some booty, too. The ten principles are to be observed one day per week, from sunset to sunset. We invite you to practice, challenge and/or help shape what we’re creating.


Amen. Happy November!

No comments:

Post a Comment