Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Tuesdays With Grammy Wrap-Up: Afterwords from Helen and Danne

Afterword from Helen
My grandmother Helen would like to conclude her depiction of our family history by saluting the immense courage and bravery of her parents, Eduardo and Lucia D'Amarino. As mere teenagers, they left behind the only life they'd ever known and their beloved Italia in search of a better life, not only for themselves, but for future generations.

Helen knows that Lucia, who could not read or write, would be brimming with pride if she could see that some of her grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great-grandchildren, were given the opportunity to receive a college education. 

Because of this alone, the sacrifices that were made all those years ago were more than worth it.  

Afterword from Danne
I can't conclude the transcription of my family's history without expressing sincere gratitude to my grandmother Helen, one of the most incredible women I know (with a memory like no other—let me tell you, she puts me to shame).

Through the hours that we spent together going over story after story, not only was I finally able to parse together the bits and pieces of family folklore that I'd heard over the years, but I truly feel like I got to know these people—my grandfather Frank especially, and develop a deeper connection to them, and in turn, to my roots.

So Grammy, I'd like to salute you. Not only for taking the time to share the family history with me, but for teaching me lessons of pride, dignity, loyalty, and above all, the importance of family. I will always hold this time we spent together very close to my heart.

And to everyone out there who read these stories on my blog, know that my family is not unique. Your family has a history too, full of its own set of fascinating characters and stories. I'm sure there's someone out there who'd love to share it with you too. All you have to do is ask. 

And now? I assemble the final family history transcript into book format for Grammy. I'll be sure to share a photo of the finished product. And for August's Lent? It officially kicks off on Friday, details to follow. 

A photograph (of a film photograph) I took a few years ago of Grammy's "favorite things", some of which you might recognize.

No comments:

Post a Comment