Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tuesdays With Grammy

Today is my grandmother Helen's 92nd birthday (wow, right?). After I post this, I'm traveling to Brockton to visit her for the day and to get started on this month's Lent: Tuesdays With Grammy.

Anyone remember the book Tuesdays With Morrie that was a New York Times bestseller in the early 2000s? The basic premise is that a guy, Mitch Albom, gets back in touch with an old college professor, Morrie Schwartz, who's dying from Lou Gehrig's disease. They meet once a week, on Tuesdays, and Morrie recounts his life to Mitch and bestows upon him his greatest life lessons. It's a great read, and if I remember correctly, I cried about 8,193 times throughout the course of it (big surprise there).

I feel lucky that Grammy is in good health and that I'll be visiting her on much better terms than in the book, but my challenge this month is similar to Mitch's: Each Tuesday in June, I plan on paying Grammy a visit. My main goal is to have her dictate the family history to me (going way back to Italy in the early 1900s), which I will then digitize and pair with corresponding photographs to make into some sort of book (hopefully—at the very least, it'll all be nicely organized and laid out here on my blog). She's been mentioning for a while that she'd like to get this done, so I've decided to Lent it out and take this challenge on.

Happy birthday Grammy, see you in a bit!


















The cake I made her with a banner that reads "Happy Birthday Grammy, here's to 92 More!", which I know will give her a good chuckle...

No comments:

Post a Comment