Thursday, March 5, 2009

28 Days Later...

I meant to post last weekend but I got caught up in the end of February, "Welcome back to drinking and eating whatever you want" festivities. So, here is my long overdue reflection on February's detox:

The first two weeks were pretty amazing. Tim and I were really great about preparing food, I was productive with my time, and I just generally felt lighter, more energetic, and more clear minded. The last two weeks? I turned into an angry, bitter vegan who wanted to punch someone when Flour had the same vegan soup two days in a row, or worse, when the soup was only "vegetarian". The bitterness started when I didn't go grocery shopping and had to rely on eating out for most of my meals (I found this annoying and unsatisfying most of the time). Then we went to a few parties with delicious looking appetizers that I had to avoid, and the kicker was when I ate the most vile calzone from TJ Scallywaggles and was in bed for two days with food poisoning (ask me for the funny barf story if you haven't heard it already).

As much as I complain, I take the blame for my bitterness. If I had kept up with cooking my own meals and preparing my own food, I would have enjoyed the month thoroughly. I got lazy, and therefore, got pissy. A few times I found myself questioning why I was even doing this at all. What was the point of avoiding all these foods if I was crankier and not even eating any healthier? What was I gaining from this experience?

Well, a few things became apparent:

1.) Soy is not a substitute for fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
2.) Drinking reduces your productivity, drastically...
3.) Vegan junk food is still junk food.
4.) Drinking shouldn't be treated as a given. Some of the most valuable times spent with friends are those spent sober.
5.) A delicious homemade, vegan meal can be just as satisfying as one with animal products.
6.) Drinking is so expensive and not worth the money a lot of the time.
7.) You are what you eat. Fresh, light, organic foods will make you feel better than over-processed, pre-packaged garbage.

So, all in all, a challenging and successful month. Now on to March, which I will post about in the next few days.

p.s. If we talk on a regular basis you hear me say this all the time, but seriously, why in a city of 6.4 million people, do we only have 4 vegetarian restaurants, 2 of which have practically the same menu? Can someone please start an organic, locally grown, vegetarian restaurant?

No comments:

Post a Comment